Between August 2008 and April 2018 I spent a number of years working on Signy Island (South Orkney Islands) and Bird Island (South Georgia) for the British Antarctic Survey (BAS). I worked as a Zoological Field Assistant on the penguin, seal and albatross long-term monitoring programme. After a 5 year break, i'll be heading back down to Bird Island in Janary 2024 for another dose of penguin work.

This blog gives readers an insight into my day-to-day life in the Antarctic, from my first trip south in 2008 to the present day.

Tuesday 24 November 2009

One year later...

Today is my first Bird Island anniversary. I arrived here exactly a year ago today! It is scary just how fast the time has gone! In another 10 weeks, i shall be half way through my time here! I'm currently very busy with fieldwork, but this should start to ease up soon as the last of my Southern giant petrels finish laying eggs and the same with the gentoos. So i shall try and write a bit more then. Here are a couple of pictures to keep people amused until i get a few more minutes to spare.
The young wandering albatrosses that have been growing all winter are learning to fly and will leave the island in the next few weeks.

My first Northern Giant petrel chicks are just starting to hatch. Here is one of the first ones.

The gentoo penguings are busy laying eggs.

No comments: